How much do standardized test scores matter if the applicant has super unique ECs?

How much do standardized test scores matter if the applicant has super unique ECs?  

By: akash_manoj@hotmail.com on Aug. 3, 2019, 9:50 a.m.

Re: How much do standardized test scores matter if the applicant has super unique ECs?  

By: Saranya on Aug. 7, 2019, 11:46 p.m.

Hi!
Standardized test scores definitely matter but they aren't a make or break factor in an application. There are may people who are admitted with less than the norm standardized test scores if they have great school academics and EC's. That being said, definitely try as hard as you can to keep your scores at par with their 75th percentile because any little boost helps

Re: How much do standardized test scores matter if the applicant has super unique ECs?  

By: Srihari on Aug. 22, 2019, 10:41 a.m.

Hello,
I would like to give a brief introduction about myself before answering this question. I am an incoming freshman at Union College, New York. I will be pursuing my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and astronomy.

Standardized test scores matter a lot. Even if the student has super unique EC's, students must get a respectable score on the SAT/ACT if they are aiming for top colleges(ex: Ivies, MIT, Caltech, and Stanford). In general, students should make sure that their standardized test scores are in 75+%ile of the colleges they are applying in order to increase the chances of being admitted. But, the major that a student is applying for is also a big deciding factor. For example, if a student is applying for an engineering major at UCLA, they should aim to score 33 or above on the ACT and 1460+ on the SAT. This is because engineering is very competitive at UCLA and in order to compete with numerous applicants one has to get a good score. Intriguing EC's definitely help bolster a students profile. In my opinion and experience of application process, I found that public colleges care more about standardized test scores than private colleges. I feel so because public colleges receive much more applications than private colleges. SAT/ACT scores of students help colleges weed out the ones they feel wouldn't be a good fit. Private colleges, like the Ivies, have a very holistic process.

All the best!

Is College in US for you?